Insurance Statues and Regulations Seminar:
The Politics of Laws and Regulations
About the seminar: This event is geared toward entry level employees, interns, or employees new to the insurance industry. It will discuss the theory and challenges of passing laws in the Pennsylvania General Assembly. Additionally, it will explain how regulations in the insurance industry clarify the underlying statutes. Even if you are not entry level or new to the insurance industry but you would like to brush up on your legislative knowledge, join us for the seminar in July!
Location: 14th Floor Auditorium of Harrisburg University in Strawberry Square
326 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101
Date: Wednesday, July 10th, 2019
No cost to attend in person!
No credits will be offered for this event.
8:00am - 8:30am: Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30am - 9:00am: Opening Remarks
Ron Gallagher, President, PAMIC
Ron will focus on PAMIC's efforts in making the public aware of careers in the insurance industry.
9:00am - 9:45am: Pennsylvania Department of Insurance Overview
David Buono, Senior Advisor to the Commissioner/Consumer Liaison, Pennsylvania Insurance Department
David will give an overview of how insurance is regulated in the U.S. with a focus on Pennsylvania's regulatory environment Additionally, there will be an overview of the PA Insurance Department, its key functions, and a tutorial on where insurance regulations can be found focusing on property and casualty markets.
9:45 - 10:00am: Mid Morning Break
10:00 - 11:00am: Legislative Process
Drew Crompton, Chief of Staff and Counsel, Pennsylvania Senate Pro-Tempore Joe Scarnati
Drew will cover the theory of how an idea becomes a law, and a practical explanation of common challenges encountered in this process.
11:00am - 11:30am: Regulatory Process
David Sumner, Executive Director, Independent Regulatory Review Commission
This session will discuss the nature of insurance industry regulation, and how they clarify the underlying statues.
11:30 - 12:00pm: Facilitated Question & Answer Forum
12:00 - 12:45pm: Networking and Lunch at Harrisburg University
1:00pm: Guided Tour of the Capitol (Group will enter through the East Wing Entrance on Commonwealth Avenue by the fountain)
Parking: Available and close in proximity is the Harrisburg University Parking Garage, or the Walnut Street Garage. Street parking is also available.
Interactive Map of Strawberry Square
Pennsylvania Capitol Security:
- All visitors - no exceptions - to the PA State Capitol will be processed through metal detectors. All bags and packages will be x-rayed, and are subject to hand inspection. Personal items may be hand-inspected. Security screening may require whole body pat-down. Confiscated materials will NOT be returned.
- Persons have the right to refuse any or all of these security screening procedures. Refusal to comply, entry to the building will be denied. Items may not be delivered or left behind.
- Visitors exiting the Capitol must be reprocessed for return entry.
Before entering the PA Capitol, all visitors are screened by a magnetometer, and all items that are permitted inside the building are screened by an x-ray device. Visitors should keep their belongings with them at all times as unattended items may result in a disruption of service at the Capitol. While certain exceptions for medical needs can be made, the following items are strictly prohibited:
- Liquid, including water
- Food or beverage of any kind, including fruit and unopened packaged food
- Aerosol containers
- Non-aerosol spray (Prescriptions for medical needs are permitted.)
- Any pointed object, e.g. knitting needles and letter openers (Pens and pencils are permitted.)
- Any bag larger than 18" wide x 14" high x 8.5" deep
- Electric stun guns, martial arts weapons or devices
- Guns, replica guns, ammunition, and fireworks
- Knives of any size
- Mace and pepper spray
- Razors and box cutters
*For more information about this event, contact our Director of Education & Events,
Andrea Stroble at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (717) 303-0197.